Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Day :)

I know many of you are experiencing the same nasty weather that we are getting here in northeast Ohio today! Luckily, as a school-based therapist, I get to enjoy the snow days just like the teachers! This is the fourth snow day so far this year, and by the looks of the radar, I'm gearing up for another possible one tomorrow.  Even Akron U and Kent State were closed today--you know it's bad when they close!  Since the house is under roof and work can continue on the inside, Let it snow/rain/sleet!

So I've been sitting here on my day off, trying to do work.  My job is a never-ending mound of paperwork.  Of course, anytime I have to do computer-based work I get very very distracted by the internet.  So I've been on a dozen furniture sites, looking at some of the blinds sites that were suggested in another blog, and looking at appliances.  Basically just trying to figure out some type of a budget and some type of a plan for what we need to buy when.  My dreams are way bigger than my wallet! Gary's parents are buying our refrigerator OR our great room tv as a wedding present, so that's one thing out of the way. But we also NEED living room furniture, dining set, and washer/dryer right off the bat.  My king-sized bedroom set can wait, if needed (but I really don't want to share a full-sized bed with him every night for a long period of time).  But we do plan to get as much of our furniture as possible from a place like Levin's that offers long-term no interest financing....we will pay things off after the wedding when we have cash gifts.

We are not planning to both live there immediately when it's done. Gary will move in first, and I will join him after the wedding. I know, that's kinda silly, but there are multiple reasons for this--1) I'm kinda traditional and want it to be special when we move in together and we're married 2) I have two needy cats who will need someone to take care of them during our honeymoon.  If I stay at home until then, my parents will just take care of them.  If not, we have to have a housesitter and I don't know if we want to do that already!

The only problem with all of this is I will be insanely jealous of Gary living there.  Of course, I will stay there on the weekends (I usually stay at his house now on Friday and Saturday nights)...but still I will be really jealous.  So....who knows what will end up happening.  The good thing about this plan is it will take away some of the pressure to get it furnished right away..he can live there with the bare minimum.  Plus my bridal shower isn't going to be until April so we won't have a lot until then anyway.  I go back and forth about this every day....I REALLY want to move in when it's done! I have about 5 weeks to figure it all out!  

7 comments:

  1. Hey im from Akron... :) and good luck with ur living situation..you have more strength than me!!! LOL because i would be in there!! The good part is you guys are engaged and the wedding is in the works already...so i think ur gonna cave :)....Cant your cats stay in a kennel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fiance and I are in a similar dilemma. I do not want to live together until after the wedding in October. Right now we live over an hour apart and we are both paying rent. We have decided to build with Ryan and now our house will be ready in May. His lease is up in July...so I could live there until the wedding and then he could stay with friends or his parents until October. However, that is highly unlikely and I guarantee come May his bags will be packed right alongside mine :) We also have two dogs that I would have to take care of by myself in the new house. One of which will be a 6mos old lab and I would much rather have him there to help me. So much for sticking to my traditional values. haha.

    When is your house supposed to be ready?? Good luck with everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling I will cave too :) Misty, our house is supposed to be ready the first week in March..we don't have an official date yet. India I've never kenneled them and I would hate to do that-I've just heard too many horror stories :( If worse came to worse I could ask one of my sisters to stay at the house for a week but having the cats at my parents' house would just be easiest. I'd hate to "confuse" the cats by moving them back in with my parents for a week....but I guess that's an option too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think I'm gonna telecommute tomorrow... I don't want to do the commute on a sheet of ice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved reading your blog and seeing the progress made on your house! Everything looks great! We are also building a Ryan and just recently started. I started a blog if you want to check it out. http://fromhousetohomecr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The house is looking great. I will be impressed if you actually dont' move in when you close. That would be so super hard! What type of school based therapist are you? I'm an SLP but work in a hospital so we never get snow days. Those are the days I wish I worked in a school--but then I think of all the paperwork, IEPs, huge caseloads and shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mindi I will be impressed also if I hold out! I'm a social worker, I do mental health counseling in three elementary schools. Yes there is definitely a lot of paperwork and I have a very large caseload...but it's nice to work school hours! My summers are optional...I can work with the kids at their houses for extra money on top of my salary. Needless to say, I will be working this summer to pay for some home expenses! (after the wedding of course!)

    ReplyDelete