Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pre-Drywall Meeting

We had our pre-drywall walkthrough this afternoon...they began putting the insulation in today also. The walkthrough was pretty interesting.  We did not have our own inspector, but we did have my dad and Gary's stepdad, who both are pretty knowledgeable and were able to ask good questions. My dad did notice that there was a small slit in between the morning room ceiling and the "rest of the house" where you could see the daylight...that is going to get patched up tomorrow morning.  The basement had been poured since we snuck in on Saturday, so it was really neat to go down there and see it.  Our garage is apparently a little bit behind schedule due to weather and drying out, but that's okay--I'd rather it be done well than done quickly. 

kitchen/morning room

basement

living room

Also we our getting a new project manager.  Our current one is switching areas with another guy who managed about 30 minutes away from us.  He was there also today for the walkthrough so we got to meet him and it was nice to have two different PMs there to ask questions.  The new guy seems pretty nice and very knowledgeable so I'm sure we won't have any problems with him.  

Anyone else who has the cherry bordeaux cabinets from timberlake------When we selected those, we were told that the knobs automatically had to come with the cabinets (extra $200).  Today, our PM suggested that we may not want to have the knobs actually installed...he said if they install them and then we decide to get hardware on our own, it would be difficult to replace them because of the holes that they drill.  He said we can leave them off for now and then see how they look without them or see if we want something else, they will install them at a later date (even after we close) if we decide we want them.  What does everyone think about this? I've only seen the cabinets/knobs in a sample version but I didn't think there was anything bad about the knobs...they seem sturdy and they're not unattractive.  As of right now they're keeping them off but I just want to see if anyone else has opinions? 

11 comments:

  1. I want to be a sure that I'm understanding you correctly. The cabinet knobs were 200 dollars that you have to pay as it was a requirement? Totally different for us as they were included. Personally we like to knots and haven't thought about changing them. I would think if you decide to get different knobs then make sure they fit the same hole. I think it will be more of a pain for you to drill and install a knob then for you to just change the knob.

    First time homeowner speaking so I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were told that knobs are a $200 option and that they only come in the brushed nickel. I assume it is different in each market. We are in Syracuse, NY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah if you wanted those cabinets, you had to get the knobs and pay $200 more. It is a brushed nickel and I think they are pretty nice. We will probably end up just having them installed, because I really don't feel like shopping around for other knobs if those work just fine and look fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm....will have to investigate this. We are getting the Cherry Bordeaux cabinets and I thought we were told that they do not come with knobs at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so weird how things are different from one place to another. Knobs weren't even an option for us. Eventually we'll put them on ourselves, but I would have much preferred them to do it. I think brushed nickel will look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting close. Do you have an official closing date? We also went with the Cherry Bordeaux cabinets. The brushed nickel hardware was free as an incentive. We are having them installed, I like them and I don't anticipate wanting to replace them anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The knobs were an option for us. Considering you can get them much cheaper at home depot, Id rather choose the kind the i want..if any... :) I dont have knobs on ours in our townhome now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are getting the same cabinets as well! And they never said anything about knobs (building in Pittsburgh). It is strange how different things are in different areas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow yeah I didn't realize how different things could be in different areas! I think we will probably just have them installed, after looking at the pictures I took of them when we selected them, I really like the knobs. J-we don't have an official date yet but it will be between March 3 and March 10.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're getting those cabinets as well, but the knobs are $200 extra and there is only one option. I like the knobs offered, but I want to shop around a bit and not be limited to just the one option. Also, I found out that the base cabinets come with shelves that slide out (I was quite excited about this).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I just wanted to jump in and say congrats and enjoy the ride! I went through the same experience in 2007 when my wife and I built a Ryan Home here in Virginia and it's been great. You're in good hands—they're a good, smart builder.

    Blogging your experience like this is a great idea (and fun!). I did it too during my build: https://picasaweb.google.com/dj.lein/NewHouseProgress

    One last thing, I actually work for Timberlake Cabinetry (that's how I came across your post), and wanted to confirm the sentiment that each market and builder is different. Some include knobs, some don't. It's totally up to them.

    Again, congrats on your new home and enjoy homeownership! It's a lot of fun!

    -DJ Lein

    ReplyDelete